The main regions of the Yucatan Peninsula will be connected by nearly 1,500 km of rail, from its major tourist centers to its rural communities.
from its major tourist centers to its rural communities. This will allow new trade and social development opportunities
for the population and national and international tourism as well as local businesses.
Integral development project
• Estimated project investment: 120 billion pesos from the public budget.
• The projected route is 1,460 km long with 18 stations and will connect five states: Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatan and Quintana Roo. Operations will begin in 2023.
• Population benefited: 12 million inhabitants of the five states. Estimated 17 million tourists per year.
• It is estimated that more than 300,000 jobs will be created in the construction of the tracks, train stations and surrounding urban works, in addition to 100,000 indirect jobs. 3,500 jobs will be created for the operation and maintenance of the train.
• It will provide transportation services for local passengers and tourists, as well as cargo service.
Environment and historical heritage
• The forest and the environment will be respected. Approximately 90% of the train will be built over the southeastern railroad tracks (Palenque to Valladolid 650 km), roads and electric transmission lines.
(from Palenque to Valladolid 650 km), highways and electric transmission lines.
• Programs such as Sembrando Vida will be implemented. Wildlife crossings will be built, biological corridors and water resources (cenotes and cenotes) will be resources (cenotes and subway rivers) will be protected.
• Environmental reserves will be protected and expanded.
• Cultural, historical and archeological heritage will be respected and protected. Access to archaeological zones and towns of tourist value will be facilitated. of tourist value.
• Sustainable practices and alternative forms of tourism will be promoted, creating gastronomic and artisanal routes.
Planning and land management with participation of the population
• Planning will be carried out with citizen participation.
• Respect for the environment and social inclusion will be privileged.
• Sustainable territorial development will be promoted for the benefit of the communities.
• The right to public space and mobility will be guaranteed.
• There will be multiple types of association for communities to be incorporated to the benefits that will be generated by the Mayan Train.
• Balanced development will be promoted, integrating communities into productive chains and incorporating small producers into new markets.
• The company will reduce transportation costs, increase digital connectivity and facilitate access to labor markets.
• Transportation costs will be reduced, digital connectivity will be increased, access to labor markets will be facilitated, and new economic opportunities for the population will be created and new economic opportunities for the population.
• By 2023 it is estimated more than 50 thousand passengers per day (57% locals and 43% tourists) 30 million annually. • By 2033 the daily demand is estimated to be more than 140 thousand passengers (32% locals and 68% tourists) close to 55 million annually.
• By 2023 daily passenger revenues are estimated at 15.7 million pesos per day and in 2033 at 47.6 million.
• Local passengers will pay fares of almost half of the tourists. An increase in foreign exchange in the 5 states of about 15 billion pesos per year is estimated.